Every Horizons student learns to swim!
It's not only a fun summer activity - it is a life-saving, confidence-building skill. Most students come to the program as non-swimmers who are afraid of the water. We’ve found that when their teachers and peers join them in the pool, students build trust and self-esteem – and those qualities spill over into the classroom.
Learning to swim:
- Transforms a feared challenge into a favorite activity
- Encourages attention to detail and commitment to a goal
- Teaches resilience and strategies to overcome fears and obstacles
- Inspires a healthy lifestyle
- Introduces a competitive sport
- Teaches skills for summer employment
- Is FUN – it’s the overwhelming favorite among Horizons students!
My son was so scared to get in the pool - now he is asking me to book him swimming lessons. I am so grateful for that.- parent, Horizons at Albertus Magnus College
For older Horizons students who have completed their swimming lessons, many programs offer lifeguard training - a way to gain even more confidence and pass on that encouragement to their younger peers.