Program Director, Horizons Savannah (GA)
Position: Program Director
Reports to: Executive Director
How to apply: Submit e-mail resume/cover letter to Horizons Executive Director: email@example.com. Review of candidates begins immediately.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The mission of Horizons is to provide students from low-income families in the Savannah area an academic, cultural, and recreational program designed to help close the achievement gap by preventing summer learning loss and encouraging academic growth.
Horizons Savannah, an affiliate of Horizons National, provides 6 weeks of summer enrichment programming and additional year-round family supports to low-income students in the Savannah, GA area. Our program is hosted by four independent schools: Savannah Country Day School, St. Andrew’s School, Savannah Christian Preparatory School, and Bethesda Academy.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Horizons Savannah is seeking a Program Director to manage all aspects of the summer and year-round education programs. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Program Director will ensure high-quality, effectively run programs for all grade levels, K-12. The Program Director will be responsible for building strong relationships with Horizons students, families, staff, and volunteers, as well as partners in the community. As part of a small team, the Program Director will also participate in a variety of administrative activities.
With the support of the Executive Director, the Program Director is responsible for the administration of the Horizons summer program at The Savannah Country Day School, St. Andrew’s School, Bethesda Academy, and Savannah Christian Preparatory School including the supervision of four Site Supervisors, Program Specialists, Swim Program Coordinator and Kitchen Managers and oversight of program-related expenditures. S/he provides on-site planning and supervision of events and activities, including Family Nights, closing ceremonies, professional development activities for teachers, and training prior to the summer program. S/he coordinates family connections during the school year, as well as programs for tutoring, student and family engagement and high school students during the school year.
Summer Program Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of managing Horizons summer program, the 60+ summer faculty and roughly 300 students
- Assist with the hiring and evaluation of summer faculty
- Design, manage, evaluate and enhance summer program schedules
- Plan and schedule summer field experiences, transportation, meal service, swim programming and on-campus enrichment programs
- Ensure faculty have the needed access to technology and supplies, coordinate supply requests and purchasing
- Oversee faculty and volunteer planning, training and on-going feedback and professional development
- In concert with faculty, identify academic goals and create curriculum guidelines
- Oversee implementation of curriculum – ensuring accountability and monitoring progress
- Review and determine enrichment options with a focus on youth voice and choice at all grade levels
- Working with the summer High School coordinator, continue to build high school summer programming
- Enhance transition for rising 9thgraders to high school program
- Manage weekly faculty meetings; address concerns; support faculty needs
- Spend the majority of the summer program at sites interacting with and supporting faculty, travel between sites and locations and assist as needed (90% of the time in the field, 10% in office approximately)
- Develop and coordinate Family events and outreach
- Maintain all program records as required
- Manage relationships with host schools to create a team approach to serving Horizons students while respecting the culture and character of each host school institution.
School Year Responsibilities:
- Oversee programming and staffing for tutoring and Saturday sessions during the academic year
- Develop and coordinate Family events and outreach
- Participate in Board and Program Committee meetings
- Assist with student recruitment and enrollment
- Consider opportunities to enhance tutoring and school year services for 1st-12thgrade students, assess current level of programming, student needs and create a plan to improve offerings
- Oversee and coordinate all high school program activities throughout the school year, including school year visits at high schools
- Consider opportunities to leverage existing resources; develop partnerships
- Build awareness of Horizons in schools and community
- Support the Executive Director and Development Committee on fundraising initiatives, including activities associated with fundraising events, on-going donor recruitment and retention efforts, assistance with the application process for grants and grant reporting
- At least 5 years of professional experience, with prior success in program management roles, preferably in an organization with a focus on education, children, youth, or families OR experience working in a school or youth development setting in a supervisory capacity
- Background in teaching, curriculum design or education preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural competency, and demonstrated ability to build and sustain positive and respectful relationships
- Passionate commitment to ensuring success for all students and closing the achievement and opportunity gaps
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to thrive within a small team environment and work collaboratively or independently as needed, with high degrees of personal initiative and accountability
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree
- Driver License and background checks are required
- Must have reliable transportation
- Computer proficiency required
- Office setting, field work requires working outdoors during the summer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.