Full-Time Development Director
Horizons National is a dynamic, fast-growing, national network of affiliates who empower students from low-income families to achieve their potential through long-term academic engagement in a nurturing learning community. Looking toward our 25th anniversary in 2020, Horizons National has embarked on a new strategic plan that envisions accelerated growth – from 55 sites in 2018 to 80 in 2020. We offer a highly professional, collegial, work-life balanced environment with a team fully committed to our mission.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Development ((SVPD), the Development Director is a mid-level fundraising professional who has a track record of cultivating donors and securing 5- and 6-figure gifts. This professional has a keen understanding of philanthropy and fundraising culture, with the flexibility to adapt to an ever-changing landscape. The Development Director will assist and monitor emerging trends to expand the prospect pipelines for individuals and institutional donors. Duties will evolve as the organization expands and deepens its donor base, proceeds with an active growth campaign, and prepares for and enters the public phase of the campaign.
- Manage an assigned portfolio of individuals through the moves management process
- Qualifying new prospects
- Conduct extensive prospect research for institutional and individual prospects
- Collaborate with the CEO and SVPD to set and execute strategy for individual donors (including family foundations) and prospects in assigned portfolio
- Execute defined strategy to meet annualized revenue goals of assigned portfolio
- Support CEO in following the strategies outlined in the CEO portfolio
- Create briefing memos and donor presentations/proposals as needed
- Collaborate with Senior Director of Institutional Giving (SDIG) to expand the institutional funder pipeline
- Support management of the Development Committee of the National Board
- Serve as logistical lead on campaign events and special fundraising initiatives
- Support development communication efforts of the team
- Report regularly on the status of fundraising efforts to the SVPD
- Track prospect and donor contacts (moves management) in Salesforce
- Provide portfolio support to CEO and SVPD by tracking their activity in Salesforce
- Draft correspondence including proposals, acknowledgements and follow-up notes for leadership donors and prospects for CEO and SVPD
- Manage and track all volunteer committees and provide support materials (briefing memos, donor research, draft follow-up letters, and meeting materials)
- Manage campaign volunteers
- Draft personalized campaign communications including “Insider Letters,” campaign newsletters/e-newsletters, remarks for campaign events, talks, and other Horizons National events
- Coordinate all campaign meetings and events including creation of presentation and support materials and executing follow-up
- Act as lead on logistics for campaign-related events
- Prepare all campaign reports
- BA/BS required
- Minimum of 7 years of development or related experience, with a proven track record of closing 5 and 6 figure gifts from individuals and institutions
- Development communications experience
- Fundraising campaign experience is desired
- Superior project management skills
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal
- Experience with Salesforce database desired; Experience with Apsona is a plus
- Strong follow-through, exceptional organization skills with an attention to detail
- Proven ability to set and meet deadlines with competing priorities
- Work effectively under pressure
- Excitement about the mission of Horizons National
- Self-motivated, strategic thinker with a proven record of working independently and collaboratively, achieving results
- Successful experience working with high-level volunteers and institutional leaders
- Ability to garner trust and confidence of senior leadership, volunteer leadership, and donor universe
- Executive level professional, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Full-time employment
- Compensation based on experience and qualifications
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Employer subsidized medical insurance
- After one year of employment: Employer sponsored life insurance and contribution to a 401(K)
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume by 5:00pm on Monday, March 4th to email@example.com with the exact subject line: Development Director.
We respectfully request that you refrain from calling about your application. We will contact you if we see a good fit. Thank you for your interest in Horizons!
Horizons National is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or marital status.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.