Regional Director, Horizons New York City
Horizons National seeks a Regional Director for its expansion in New York City. We are working to bring the proven Horizons program to many more under represented students in the city, starting with a doubling the number of sites in the next two years. This position has the possibility of being expanded to full-time in the future.
Horizons National is a network of high-quality academic enrichment programs serving under represented students continuously from Kindergarten through 8th grade, and when possible, high school. A signature summer learning program with year-round supports, Horizons is recognized for excellence by the Campaign for Grade-Level Readingand the National Summer Learning Association. Our unique model creates partnerships with independent schools, charter schools, colleges, and universities to establish Horizons programs that serve students from underserved communities over a broad range of learning levels. Most students attend Title 1 public schools during the school year, begin in Kindergarten and remain with their Horizons program at least six consecutive years, building a close learning community among Horizons students, their families, and the program staff. The project-based educational model blends academics with SEL, STEAM, sports and cultural enrichment. Horizons' proven model is helping our students achieve academically, including consistent summer gains in reading and math of approximately 3 months, as compared to the typical 2-3-month loss experienced by most children from low-income households over the summer.
A growing network of 63 programs in 19 states and the District of Columbia, Horizons has served as a pivotal link between public and private education communities for over half a century, representing an education strategy to close the achievement and opportunity gaps for students in lower income families using resources outside the typical K-12 systems. Horizons' strong community of support in NYC includes talented staff and committed families, boards and donors in our existing local affiliates, Horizons at Brooklyn Friends School and Saint David’s School.
This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned, dynamic nonprofit professional to operationalize Horizons as a regional entity in New York City, as has been done in other cities across the country, and to ensure its growth and success. As the Regional Director works closely with Horizons National to cultivate and launch new school partners’ Horizons programs in targeted parts of the city, s/he will principally be responsible for fundraising and marketing, reporting, and growing and supporting a regional Board of Directors.
Development and Marketing
- Work with the regional Board to develop and implement a sustainable fundraising strategy
- Identify and solicit new sources of funding; build and maintain strong relationships with funders; prepare grant requests and all required program and financial reporting; and plan and oversee special fundraising and partner cultivation events in cooperation with the Board including summer site visits
- Coordinate all public relations and communications activities including media relations, the preparation of collateral, and extensive community outreach using branded Horizons resources
- Work in close collaboration with Horizons National on branding, fund development and board cultivation and also coordinate fundraising with existing local affiliates
- Provide leadership and tactical implementation for organizational strategy, fundraising, financial management, programmatic growth and quality, infrastructure and board development
- Provide staff support to Board including development of meeting materials and presentations to the Board
- Execute formal agreements and serve as a liaison between Horizons National New York City, its program host institutions, and Horizons National
- Represent Horizons at relevant field events, including annual Horizons National conference
- Work with Horizons National to identify and cultivate institutional partners including but not limited to independent schools, colleges and universities
- Work with Affiliate and Site Directors to ensure:
- Common outcome measurement aligned with Horizons National standards, measurement and data systems
- Cross-site programmatic collaboration as appropriate
- Successful student and staff recruitment and retention
- National Horizons standards attainment and state licensing compliance
- Introduction of Horizons NYC as a brand in concert with existing local affiliates
- Support development of a Board of Directors (with at least 5-7 members and strong involvement in revenue generation)
- Attain tax exempt incorporation of new regional entity
- Execute Affiliate Agreements with at least two new school partners, with at least one new program launching in Summer 2020
- Refine 3-5 year regional funding model and raise regional funding required
- A strong commitment to Horizons' mission and a passionate belief in the value of education as an essential tool to help students reach their full potential
- At least 5 years of leadership experience with responsibility for fundraising, programs, finance, and operations
- A knowledge of New York City, its educational and political climate and philanthropic landscape
- Demonstrated success with all aspects of fundraising
- Experience leading strategic planning, organizational development, and performance management processes
- Experience with financial management, including budgeting and managing a budget
- Excellent relationship-building skills and a customer-service and collaborative orientation that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial external partnerships
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Technological proficiency – familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required; Master's degree preferred
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Kylie Lyman at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "New York City Regional Director."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.