Executive Director, Horizons at Saint David's (New York, NY)
About Horizons at Saint David’s
Horizons at Saint David’s was founded by Saint David’s School in 2012 as a commitment to the local community. The first Manhattan affiliate of the Horizons network, Horizons at Saint David’s works with boys from Harlem to close the opportunity gap and fuel curiosity, inspire a love of learning, build self-confidence, and expose boys to a variety of cultural experiences.
With the mission “to prevent academic slide by providing a rich academic and cultural experience for boys from low-income families, during their elementary school years,” Horizons provides a six-week summer academic program in which boys start as rising first graders and return each summer throughout their elementary school years. In the summer of 2019, the program will enroll 120 boys in grades one through eight. The program provides structured lessons in reading, writing, and math and reinforces these fundamental skills through hands-on experiences in STEM, art, music, and other enrichment activities. Sports and swimming are a part of the weekly curriculum. In addition, teachers place a strong emphasis on the social and emotional development of each boy. During the academic year, popular reunion days help build family community and offer strategies for parents on a wide variety of topics.
Horizons at Saint David’s is one of more than 55 Horizons programs that serve nearly 6,000 students across 18 states. The programs, run and hosted by private schools, colleges, and universities, are part of a network supported by Horizons National. In contrast to the summer learning loss typically experienced by children from low-income families, Horizons students achieve consistent gains in reading and math each summer, have an increase in their attendance and self-confidence, and a high school graduation rate of 97%.
The Executive Director role is an exciting leadership opportunity for an individual who is passionate about preventing summer learning loss and closing the opportunity and achievement gaps for students from low-income families. The Executive Director will work with a dedicated, talented team to guide an established, successful program to its next level. The Executive Director will lead Horizons at Saint David’s continued growth through effective partnership with a variety of stakeholders, including Horizons students and families, staff, Board, and donors; Saint David’s School’s leadership and broader community; our partner schools; and Horizons National. The Executive Director will build a vision for how we can continue to refine our program and leverage strong leadership skills in order to drive all aspects of our operations.
- Lead the development of our academic curriculum and program, with a particular focus on ensuring an engaging and rigorous experience for students in grades one through eight
- Lead all aspects of our summer program, including:
- Recruiting, training, and supervising teaching staff to deliver a high-quality academic program, working across this team to oversee curriculum, goals, and daily schedules and to maintain appropriate records on the academic, social, and emotional progress of each student
- Overseeing volunteer coordination
- Planning off-campus trips
- Coordinating with Saint David’s School for use of facilities
- Managing contracts and coordination with all vendors (including food service, swimming pool facilities, and bus companies)
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory and licensing requirements
- Build strong partnerships with feeder schools in order to support recruitment of Horizons students and families
- Partner with the Board to establish and meet short-term goals and set the future strategic direction of the program
- Report at board meetings, serve on all board committees, and ensure all members are engaged and supported effectively
- Manage budgeting, financial controls, and reporting for the program, collaborating with Saint David’s School’s finance department to ensure accurate record keeping and approval of all revenue and expenses
- Coordinate with Horizons National, fulfilling all Horizons National reporting requirements, implementing Horizons National best practices where applicable, and attending Horizons National conferences
Development and Communications:
- Partner with the Board to create and implement a sustainable fundraising strategy
- Research and solicit new sources of funding, prepare grant proposals and reports, and build and maintain strong relationships with donors
- Plan and oversee Horizons at Saint David’s fundraising events in collaboration with the Event Committee of the Board
- Collaborate with the Saint David’s School’s development office to ensure effective donor management, appropriate development strategies, and accurate reporting and acknowledgment of all gifts
- Create and execute an annual communications plan, including website, marketing videos, social media, email newsletters, and public relations activities
As the incoming Executive Director, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to Horizons’ mission and a belief in the value of high-quality summer learning to help low-income students reach their full potential.
- You come to this role with 5+ years of experience in roles focused on education or youth programming, such as non-profit program management, teaching and curriculum design, or educational leadership positions.
- You bring excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to build and support positive and respectful relationships, a strong sense of cultural competency, and experience working with a diverse range of stakeholders. You also offer the ability to act as a spokesperson for Horizons to a broad public audience.
- You have experience with financial management, including budgeting, financial controls, and reporting.
- You have experience with nonprofit fundraising, or you demonstrate an interest in taking on this area of responsibility and offer strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- You are a self-starter who demonstrates high levels of initiative, organization, and accountability. You are flexible and effective whether working independently, leading teams, or collaborating with peers.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills and strong computer skills. Spanish language skills are considered a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required
Compensation & Benefits
Horizons at Saint David’s offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. This position is full-time, with some flexibility of starting date. During the summer months, the ED is required to be on-site full-time; other months, there is a great deal of flexibility and the ability to work from home or at the Horizons Saint David’s office, located at Saint David’s School. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated candidate who prefers to set their own work schedule.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Horizons at Saint David’s is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The program will make all employment decisions for employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity and expression, creed, genetic predisposition, being the victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses, or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and development, benefits, promotion, demotion, transfer, discipline or termination. All employees of Horizons at Saint David’s, regardless of position, are expected to maintain and live up to the true meaning of non-discrimination.
Horizons at Saint David’s has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to the Search Committee, here.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.