Executive Director - Horizons Hampton Roads (VA)
Horizons Hampton Roads (HHR) is an academic, cultural, and recreational program designed to enhance educational equity by building long-term partnerships with students, families, communities, and schools to create experiences outside of school that inspire the joy of learning. The organization operates through proven summer enrichment programs where children are challenged academically, socially, and physically to achieve greater successes in school and in life.
About This Role:
The current HHR Executive Director will be retiring after more than 9 years as its leader. As a result, HHR is seeking a new Executive Director to lead and oversee the organization’s operations while increasing HHR’s public profile and general awareness. Over the years, the breadth and depth of HHR’s staff and programs have developed to match the growing needs of our children and their families; HHR has a knowledgeable and dedicated staff who will ensure continued excellence in all its activities.
The new Executive Director will report to and work with the fully supportive Board to develop a 3- to 5-year strategy, build relationships with key stakeholders, and lead a talented high performing staff. Further, the new Executive Director will build external-facing relationships to increase awareness of HHR, expand partnerships, and position HHR as a thought leader in the space of educational, social and physical inequities impacting our community. Specific responsibilities include:
What You Will Do:
- Reporting to and in partnership with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will oversee organizational processes, finances, and infrastructure that will allow its program to continue to grow and fulfill its mission.
- Inspire and develop relationships with community stakeholders and volunteers to carry out the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Enhance good public relations including speaking and presenting in public forums, building and sustaining partnerships with families, stakeholders, community agencies, local churches, and other professionals, civic and private organizations.
- Serve as Community Leader to initiate connections to local school administrators including Superintendents, Principals, and other education administrators.
- Embrace a collaborative and compassionate leadership style that empowers team members and volunteers and encourages innovation, teamwork, and open communication.
- Oversee and in some cases lead fundraising initiatives to strengthen and diversify funding sources.
- Lead all aspects of financial management including budget preparation, timely/accurate reporting, and ensure a strong positive financial position for the organization.
- Collect and report impact data on programs with status updates and reporting.
- Lead employees throughout the organization and motivate them to maximize results, setting clear and appropriate performance goals and metrics and tracking results.
- Provide flexibility, as needed, based on operational demands.
What You Will Need:
- Strong commitment supporting the under-served of our community and the persistence to grow our capacity to reach others.
- 8-12 years’ experience in management, supervision, and leadership.
- Robust public relations skills, including speaking and presenting in public forums.
- Ability to build and sustain partnerships with families, stakeholders, community agencies, local churches, and other professional civic and private organizations.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's Degree preferred.
The salary range for this position is $97,000 - $110,000. Qualified candidates may inquire and apply by sending a resume to SearchCommitee@HorizonsHamptonRoads.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.